Saturday, November 1, 2008

Akasa HDD enclosure - remove the jumpers

I decommissioned my old server tonight and ripped out everything useful, including the 250GB IDE/PATA disk. I got an Akasa disk enclosure a few weeks ago specifically to recycle this disk. I had a couple of false starts, but they were resolved by removing the jumpers on the disk. (The Akasa manual says nothing about jumpers).

First off, with one jumper in the master/single position, Windows XP couldn't see the disk at all. Next, I misread the jumper diagram on the disk and put it in the "limit disk capacity" setting. Now Windows could see the disk, but only 33.8 GB of it. Same story connected to Linux. Finally, I removed the jumpers altogether. Now Linux and Windows can see the disk and its full capacity.

Formatting the disk with an NTFS partition now...

No comments:

Post a Comment